• Produce daily coverage of both global and local events;
• Select local, state, national, and international news items received from wire services, based on assessment of items' significance and interest value;
• Gathering stories from various news sources, such as press releases, telephone contacts, radio, television, wire services, and other reporters;
• Develop story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal;
• Read, evaluate and edit materials submitted for publication and confer with authors regarding changes in content, style or organization, or publication;
• Edit copy to improve the formatting, style, grammar and accuracy of the text.
• Verify citations against databases and resources, linking citations to available websites;
• Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources;
• Confer with management and editorial staff members regarding placement and emphasis of developing news stories;
• Interview experts and government officials.
• Education BA in journalism or international relations is a big plus;
• Ability to prioritise and schedule work to meet strict deadlines while dealing with multiple assignments in a high volume work environment, a thorough knowledge of news and current affairs in Russia, the US, Europe and internationally, experience of making judgements on matters of greater editorial sensitivity is essential, as its the ability to prioritise and interpret the key stories of the day, legal knowledge regarding the content of publications, an understanding of target audiences;
• Successful candidates must have high level of fluency in English and have strong command of one other language except Russian;
• Aptitude for problem-solving, strong sense of responsibility, ownership and attention to detail in data management and, importantly, openness to change with a proactive approach to all work and communication, an eye for detail, strong negotiating and decision-making skills.
Conditions of employment:
• Salary to be discussed with the successful candidate during the interview;
• Working schedule 11/4 (four eleven-hour days per week);
• Social package (including fitness club, meal benefits);
• Free access to film screenings, lectures and other events at Rossiya Segodnya.